The Italian Center of Stamford, Inc. is proud to accept you and/or your family as a member. We hope you enjoy your membership and the privileges that it brings.
The Center is governed by a set of rules and regulations. All members and their guests are required to adhere to them whenever using the IC facilities. Please remember that these rules and regulations are in effect so that all members can enjoy using the IC facilities in a safe, healthy and friendly environment. We ask that you are respectful and cognizant of your fellow members’ right to enjoy the same privileges as you. All members are expected to conduct themselves in a proper and responsible manner at all times.
Only members in good financial standing shall enjoy the privileges associated with using the IC facilities. The Italian Center membership is an annual membership; hence your annual dues are due on the first day of the actual month that you initially joined the Center. Invoices are sent out at the beginning of your renewal month. Past due members will be denied access to the IC.
Identification & Entry to the Facilities.
Individual membership identification tags are issued to all members.
- All members are required to have their picture taken and entered into the computer immediately after joining the IC.
- All members must scan their ID tags into the computer prior to gaining access to the facility. There are no exceptions! This process is necessary for the safety of our members and to keep non-members out.
- Any member who knowingly allows non-members, through deceit, to gain access to the IC facility may lose their membership privileges.
- A Nanny Membership only allows the nanny to enter and use the IC swimming pool facilities when her host family’s children are present with her/him.
- Children ten (10) years and younger must be accompanied by an adult (or a sibling who is at least 15 years old) when entering and using the IC.
Members are permitted to bring guests with the following requirements:
- Any one guest is not allowed to use the facilities more than 4 times per year.
- A family membership is allowed 12 paid guest visits per year.
- An individual membership is allowed 4 paid guest visits per year.
- No more than two guests per family will be allowed on any one day.
- Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day the guest fee is $15
- For the remainder of the year the guest fee is $10.
- Each guest must register at the Check-in station.
- Guest fees must be paid at check-in prior to entry.
- Guests cannot use the facilities without a member present (on site).
Fitness Center Rules
Only persons who are fourteen (14) and older are allowed in the fitness center.
- There are limited times posted for usage by 12 & 13 yr. olds with parents present.
- Proper attire is required. Street clothes or shoes are not allowed.
- No abusing the equipment. Profanity or harassment is not allowed.
- No food or beverages. Bottled water is allowed.
- When others are waiting we ask that you limit your time on any of the aerobic machines to 20 – 30 minutes.
- Please wipe off the equipment after using it.
- All free weights must be placed back on weight racks when finished.
The gymnasium is open to all members unless indicated on posted schedules.
- Proper attire is required. No bare feet, wet bathing suits or street clothes.
- No food, drinks, candy or gum allowed in the gym. Please…no high heels.
- No abusing the equipment. No dunking or hanging on the basketball rims.
- Profanity, verbal or physical harassment is not allowed.
- Do not use gym fire exit door. This is for emergency use only.
- During scheduled program times, only those members who are registered for that particular program may use the gym.
- Kickball is prohibited in the gym during open & family gym time.
- Throwing or hitting baseballs is prohibited in the gym at all times.
Handicap / Family Room Rules
These rooms are available only for handicap, special needs persons and parents with opposite sex young children.
- Keys are kept at the indoor check-in station.
- All persons using these rooms are required to sign in.
- Please do not hold onto the keys after you use the room.
- The key must be returned back to check-in immediately after each use.
Locker Room Rules
Please follow all rules as posted in each of the locker rooms.
- No running or horseplay.
- No food, drinks, candy or gum.
- Please dry off in the shower area.
- The Italian Center is not responsible for your personal property. Members are encouraged to bring locks to secure their belongings, since locks are not provided. All personal locks must be removed at the end of the day.
- The IC staff reserves the right to remove any lock that is left overnight after 24 hour notification is provided on that specific locker.
All guests must sign in and register at the tennis office and pay the appropriate guest fee as outlined under the IC guest policy.
- All players must be properly attired in tennis whites and tennis shoes.
- Courts may be reserved for one (1) hour of play the day before, including Saturdays, Sundays and Holidays. Doubles play can reserve for 1 1/2 hours.
- Court reservations can be made via the online reservation system or by telephone from 8:00am to 5:00pm.
- Courts that have been reserved and assigned must be claimed and play started within ten (10) minutes after the hour.
- If reserved court time cannot be used, players must cancel their reservation no later than one (1) hour before scheduled time.
- When reserving courts on the day before play, all participants must be listed.
- No individual may appear on the daily reservation sheet more than once. However, if courts become available, additional play may be allowed.
- Walk-ons are permitted to play at any time courts are available.
- Children, not actively playing, must remain outside the fenced playing area.
- Members must first sign in at the Tennis office prior to using the backcourts.
- Proper tennis etiquette should be followed at all times.
Platform Tennis Rules
Courts are open from 8:00am to 9:30pm Monday through Friday, and from 8am to 6:00pm on Saturdays & Sundays. The courts cannot be used when covered with snow or ice or when the main facility is closed. Reservations must be made as noted below:
- Before play can begin, members must check-in and pay for any guests at the indoor check-in station.
- All players must wear rubber-soled shoes or tennis shoes.
- Reservations are limited to 1½ hours.
- Courts may be reserved up to thirty-eight (38) hours prior to playing time. Court reservations can be made via online reservation system or by telephone.
- Juniors (under 18 years of age) can only make reservations for weekdays from 3:00pm – 4:30pm.
- If a court is open, any member may use the court, regardless of age, on a first- come basis.
- A reservation is considered cancelled if the players are ten minutes late.
- The courts cannot be used when the Italian Center main building is closed.
- No one under the age of eighteen (18) is permitted to use the whirlpool.
- Persons with diabetes or a heart condition should not use the whirlpool.
- Pregnant women are not allowed to use the whirlpool.
- State health codes require that you shower prior to using the whirlpool.
- IC staff reserves the right to close the whirlpool at any time for maintenance, health or safety reasons!
Indoor & Outdoor Swimming Pool Rules
Posted swimming pool and diving board rules must be followed at all times.
- Lifeguards must be obeyed at all times.
- The pool is officially closed when the “No Lifeguard on Duty” sign is posted.
- State health codes require that you shower prior to using the pool.
- Persons with open wounds or bandages are not allowed in pool.
- No running or horseplay allowed in pool area for safety reasons.
- Profanity, verbal or physical harassment is not allowed.
- No food, beverages, candy, gum or glass containers are allowed in the enclosed pool areas. Alcohol is also not allowed in the enclosed pool areas.
- Street shoes or sneakers are not allowed on the indoor pool deck.
- Swimsuits are required. Cutoffs or shorts are not allowed.
- Lounge Chair Etiquette – On busy days we ask that you please limit the use of the poolside lounge chairs primarily for adults, as children are more often in and around the pool, rather than in the lounge chairs. There are many upright chairs available that children are allowed to use. We also ask that you do not leave towels or other items on lounge chairs longer than 45 minutes unattended. Our lifeguard supervisors or pool liaison persons may ask you to relinquish that chair during busy times to another adult member.
- Children under eight (8) years old must wear lined swimsuits.
- Children under eight (8) years old must be accompanied by an adult or a person over fifteen (15) years old. Parent must remain on the pool deck.
- Children, who are not yet toilet trained and/or in swim diapers, are limited to using the Kiddie Pool during the outdoor pool season. The swim diapers can be purchased through the Aquatics department.
- No masks, snorkels, inflated toys or any other swimming aids allowed, except in the outside Kiddie Pool. Large inflatables are not allowed.
- Only Coast Guard approved zip-up life jackets, SAFE-T-SEALS and suits with built-in inflation are acceptable in the swimming pools.
- Diving board rules must be followed as posted in the pool areas.
- All pool areas must be cleared whenever thunder is heard or lightening is seen in the area. You cannot reenter the pool areas until after the lifeguard has given the all clear signal. This is for your own safety.
The following swimming pool policies also apply:
- Any member whose child or guest has a fecal “accident” in any of the Italian Center pools, indoor or outdoor, with the exception of the kiddie pool, will incur a fine. The following fine must be paid before your family will be allowed back into the facilities. If it is not paid then your membership privileges will be revoked.
1st offense – $125 fine
2nd offense – $250 fine
3rd offense – the offender will no longer be allowed in the pools
- In addition to the initial fine, the offending person will not be allowed to use any of the IC pools for 7 days.
- During the summer season there is a 15 minute adult only swim period every two hours in the indoor, middle and large outdoor pools. All three of these pools will simultaneously have the 15 minute adult only swim period. Anyone under the age of 18 years old must leave the three pools and will not be allowed back in until the 15 minute adult only swim period is over. The adult only swim periods will be as follows:
Noon until 12:15pm
2:00pm until 2:15pm
4:00pm until 4:15pm
6:00pm until 6:15pm
- We strongly recommend that you encourage and take your young children to use the bathroom facilities during these adult swim periods.
- Diapered and untrained children can only use the kiddie pool during the summer season. Swim diapers sold by the Italian Center must be used. They can be purchased through the aquatics office. If the kiddie pool is closed for an “accident”, diapered and untrained children cannot use either of the remaining outdoor pools. The kiddie pool will be cleaned, sanitized and refilled, which takes approximately two hours.
- The IC staff reserves the right to close any of the swimming pools at any time for maintenance, health or safety reasons! Unfortunately certain conditions may arise and at times the pools may be closed for the remainder of the day due to unforeseen “accidents”.
Please note the following:
- Italian Center management reserves the right to revoke the membership of anyone who abuses, disregards or violates the rules and regulations of the Italian Center, as detailed above, or as posted throughout our facilities.
- The Italian Center reserves the right to amend, modify or add to the aforementioned rules and regulations at the sole discretion of the IC Board of Directors and/or its Executive Director, especially in regard to the safety and welfare of our members and employees.
- The IC rules and regulations are posted on the Italian Center website and are updated periodically.
- We want to create a fun and enjoyable atmosphere at the Italian Center and ask that each member work with the IC staff to ensure that every member has a positive experience when using the facilities. Let’s work together and have a fun time at The Center!